The Award of Excellence is designed to honor a member who has made significant contributions to our association. These efforts may be at the local, regional or international level.
Call for Nominations
Each year, BFMA International is proud to accept nominations for one of the Association’s most prestigious individual awards, the Award of Excellence. All members are encouraged to reflect on the service and accomplishments of their peers and submit nominations and supporting documentation to the association.
The award is based on the specific criteria listed below. Nominees do not necessarily have to meet all of the criteria listed. Stress should be placed on those areas that you believe merit your nominee's consideration for the award.
The BFMA Award of Excellence recognizes outstanding individual contributions to BFMA. All BFMA members, except the current president and president emeritus, are eligible. A qualifying candidate:
- Demonstrates consistent dependability regardless of the task.
- Willingly participates when tasks are required to meet a schedule.
- Demonstrates concern for his or her chapter, the association, and its members.
- Serves in leadership roles at the chapter and/or association level.
- Recognized as a leader, respected member and role model by his or her peers.
- Actively promotes membership in his or her chapter and the association.
- Actively supports the chapter and regional seminars and the symposium by attending and urging others to do so.
- Supports the association with such things as printing, supplies, research, work on committees, or special projects.
- Actively represents BFMA to external audiences in leadership roles at the chapter and/or association level.
To Submit a Nomination
Please submit an Award of Excellence Nomination Form and supporting documentation to the President Emeritus, Chair of the Past President’s Council at:
BFMA President Emeritus
Supervisor, Corporate Identity & Forms
Puget Sound Energy
PO Box 97034, EST-11W
Bellevue, WA 98009
Do not send to BFMA International Headquarters.
All nominations must be received by the President Emeritus by March 1st.
Recognizing Recipients of the Award of Excellence
The Past Presidents Council has the responsibility and final authority to make the selections. The rules do not require that a recipient be named every year. Winners will be kept confidential and announced at the Awards Banquet during Symposium.
2010 Award Recipient
Our 2009-2010 Award of Excellence winner certainly meets, and exceeds, these criteria. I am pleased to announce, on behalf of the Past President’s Council, the winner of the Award of Excellence is – Karen Albright.
Karen has served her local chapter (Northwest Washington) for many years, and in several difference capacities, including president. She has been active in BFMA for many years. She served on the International Board for most of the late 1990s and early 2000s, culminating as President in 2005-2007. She currently serves on the Past President’s council.
Karen’s contributions are many. Her outgoing personality and friendly demeanor make her an asset to BFMA for networking. She was instrumental in providing meeting space at her place of employment and in attracting and retaining valuable sponsor contributions.
Karen’s term as president was filled with many challenges for BFMA. Karen confronted these challenges directly, initiating an extensive review of association operations and finances. Under her leadership, BFMA developed contingency plans, established specific objectives, and worked to "clean up” our balance sheet. She set the foundation for the difficult actions that followed.
Karen is quite deserving of this award.